Sunday, December 5, 2010

Boston Bruin's Season Review

            After a great start the Bruins are currently involved in a skid, dropping four out the last five.  The Bruins are 12-8-2 right now and are in second place in their division.  They are five points behind arch rival Montreal.  In the eastern conference standings, the B’s sit in the eighth spot.  It is still very early in the season; however one cannot help but be frustrated with their inability to score as of late.  The team has only mustered five goals in their last four games.  Last season the Bruins were picked to win the Stanley cup, however they struggled finding the back of the net all year. This is something Boston hopefuls will not want to go through again this year.
            The upside so far is their intensity.  The Bruins have come out this season and set a physical presence early and often.  Some would argue that they are setting precedence because of what happened to their leading scorer last year Mark Savard, who has been inactive since late last year due to a vicious dirty hit by Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke.  Others would argue that Cam Kneely is rubbing off on the squad and that’s what’s making them play so tough.  Either way, this writer loves it.  It is such an important aspect in the game of hockey to establish your team as a tough team.  A team, that when others have to play you, they know they are in for a rough game, and the bruins have done just that.  Led by tough guy Shawn Thornton and Mark Stuart, the Bruins are tied for sixth in the NHL with twenty one major penalties called against.  In a recent move, the bruins traded defenseman Matt Hunwick for Colby Cohen, a big defenseman who played his college days at Boston University.  Cohen is very much unproven, but has a big upside, and could potentially work his way into the Bruins lineup.
          One of the biggest surprises of the year for the Bruins is their goalie situation.  After Tim Thomas won the Vezna trophy in 2008/2009, he had a flop year last year and ended up losing his job to rookie goalie Tukkah Rask.  Rask was stellar last year putting up great numbers and being a rock in net down the stretch.  Rask came in this year as the starter, but after a rough first game against Phoenix, Tim Thomas took over and hasn’t slowed down.  Thomas is 11-2 with a 1.5 gaa and a 95 save %.  These numbers are mind blowing.  And although Rask sits at 1-6, his numbers are quite good as well.  Being a former goalie, this writer sees the Bruin’s goalie situation as a healthy competition that will allow for huge successes in the long run.  The Bruins are built from the net out, and have the ability to do big things the rest of the year.           

8 comments:

  1. Peter,
    I am also a Bruins fan. I love watching them play. I agree with you on their intensity. They get excited too quickly but you can tell they have good sportsmanship for the game.

    I also heard that Thomas would be gone by this year and to the surprise of everyone, I think this is the best he has ever played! let's hope he keeps up with the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to follow the Bruins this year, although I have to admit that I really get caught up in basketball. Hockey is a #2 sport for me. I really liked the B's 8-1 victory over Tampa Bay last week. I'd say their scoring has been pretty good as of late. I also remember catching the end of a game against Florida in which the Bruins scored 3 goals in about 90 seconds. Thomas is a monster in goal, but I was turning into a huge Tuukka fan last year! I hope both goalies can do their best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I've never followed the Bruins or hockey for that matter. Not because I don't like it, but because I never really understood the game. But it does interest me and since they're a Boston sports team, of course I will root for them. I used to tell my mother if I was able to skate when I was little, than I would have wanted to play. I like this review because it gives me a good sense of how the Bruin's season is going. I like how it is honest writing and you give both the positives and negatives of the team's performance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this review, I also do not know much about hockey and I feel like I have learned a thing or two just from reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This review gave me so much more to talk about at the bar while watching the game, which is really important now that I'm a huge Bruins fan since my recent move to Boston :) Very informative and obviously very passionate as well, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a Bruins fan, but I guess not a true one considering I don't know much about them! Your review gave me a lot of good insight, easy to follow, and I can tell your passionate about the sport obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad is a life-long hockey player and Bruins fan. He frequently talks to me about stats and trades so you think I would understand the game, but unfortunately I only know enough to get by in light bar conversation such as "How about them Bruins." I enjoy the sport but not to the extent I'm sure my dad wishes I did.

    Your review was very insightful and it showed that you have a strong appreciation and passion for the sport. I learned a lot from this review and trust your description and opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm also a Bruins fan, so it's good to get a mid season review. I agree Tim Thomas's play has been a huge surprise. I along with everybody else thought for sure Rask would be our guy in net, and Thomas would be traded by the time the season reached the half way point. I love the intensity as well, something that was missing basically all of last year. The Savard thing is troubling, but who can blame the guy for being a little timid after that vicious hit.

    ReplyDelete